REGISTER NOW
FAQ
Go Back   myForum > The Chat house

Old 11-29-2007   #1
ToxicGTE
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

W850i vs Nokia N95

I`ve been using my w850i for 6 months now and so far been very happy with it. My brother got an N95 recently and he said it was "the dogs bollocks" so i decided to upgrade from o2. I`ve been using for a couple of days now, and i have to say that the w850i wins. Sure, the N95 is feature packed, looks good with its twin slider, has a larger screen and better camera, but the software inside it isn`t as good as SE...

1. Transferring music to the device is a chore, having to use the spe******t software to do it, as its difficult to even create a simple playlist. Playing music for about 2 hours kills the battery stone dead, but my w850i can play for 6 hours and still its only half empty.
2. Installing games go to the Application menu, whereas the SE puts them into the games folder, thus keeping them all together.
3. Writing messages is fiddly as you have to select the recipient first, and if your inbox becomes overcrowded, you have to delete them one by one.
4. Creating themes for it looks really confusing, using the Carbide.UI software.
5. When you play music, accessing the playlist is a series of menu clicks, whereas SE, just press UP. (Major gripe).
6. My contact list is messed up now. I transferred all my contacts to the SIM, but now the N95 displays them all back to front, with numbers at the end. I`ve changed the settings to "first name last name" but it still shows "last name first name" with a number. (strange)
7. The GPS is a good idea but i`ll never use it, plus costs money.

All in all, NOKIA haven`t really changed their format of software since the old 3210...

Anyone else have issues? Anyone want to buy an N95 series3? Anyone really care?
ToxicGTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #2
Parano!d
Elite Theme Creator
Lasyk Elite Member

//all nokia phones are ****t
//my w850 rocks aswell
Parano!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #3
Mr.ASAP
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

reply according to numbered question

1. it depends on what format your phone supports, but technically for SE and nokia, i would just DRAG AND DROP the music files onto the memory card
2. You can move the games to another folder - this is irritating so what i did was to rename the application folder as Games . haha
3. I hate nokia for the deleting of messages! i once had over 1.2K SMS in my inbox, and its either hitting 3 moves to delete one by one (thats like 3.6K of finger moves... crazy) or deleting all at once! Buggers!
4. Yes i agree, i did the Home screen thereafter giving up..
5. well it depends on what media player you are using - the nokia inbuilt player is sub-par, you have to find alternative software for it, there are many but it still means $$$
6. No idea about this
7. Try Google maps 2.0 instead!

All in all, in guess nokia N and E series are for techies who want their non touchscreen phone to have great multimedia capabilities, they would also want to avoid from the absymal Windows mobile devices...

N95 is rather cheap now...same price as K850i!!!!!!!
But still it depends on the end user, some of my friends love N95 some hate it and prefer a SE, for me, i will take a better SE phone to replace my K800 (K850?) and a E90 to replace my E61
Old 11-30-2007   #4
Immortal_Baron
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicGTE View Post
1. Transferring music to the device is a chore, having to use the spe******t software to do it, as its difficult to even create a simple playlist. Playing music for about 2 hours kills the battery stone dead, but my w850i can play for 6 hours and still its only half empty.
Have u tried syncing with windows media player???

its super fast..Go to menu>tools>usb and select media player...
When u plug ur data cable in the menu pops up..open media player, simply drag and drop...Even whole folders and it takes just a few seconds to sychronize...

while playing, just press the back button to see the playilist...

i play music all day(5 hours) and then the battery runs out...I think u have a battery problem...Plus the new firmware released a few days ago has enhanced the battery life...

Quote:
. Installing games go to the Application menu, whereas the SE puts them into the games folder, thus keeping them all together.
Being a symbian fone, you can make as many folders as you like...

Make a games folder and throw all ur games in there...

Again, a default games folder has been made in the new firware release...

Quote:
. Writing messages is fiddly as you have to select the recipient first, and if your inbox becomes overcrowded, you have to delete them one by one.
No u dont. Have u tries leaving it blank?? in the end it asks you to select recipitents and then it shows u ur contacts...

to delete msgs you can mark all of them, however marking them one by one can be a bit difficult.

Quote:
. Creating themes for it looks really confusing, using the Carbide.UI software.
with sites like www.pizero.net and www.babinokia.com producing good quality themes for free why make ur own??

I think the developers here at lasyk are thinking of incorporating s60 support in their MTC (my theme creator)

Quote:
. When you play music, accessing the playlist is a series of menu clicks, whereas SE, just press UP. (Major gripe).
in nokia just pres back on the now playing screen!

Quote:
. My contact list is messed up now. I transferred all my contacts to the SIM, but now the N95 displays them all back to front, with numbers at the end. I`ve changed the settings to "first name last name" but it still shows "last name first name" with a number. (strange)
Dunno how that happened...try sending ur contact to the n95 frm ur old fone via BLUETOOTH...

Quote:
. The GPS is a good idea but i`ll never use it, plus costs money.
GPS is free, only costs u to dwnload the maps...

and u have a scbscription fee (but they are working on a crack)
If u download thru ur desktop pc or wifi then its kinda free...
All in all, NOKIA haven`t really changed their format of software since the old 3210...

Quote:
else have issues? Anyone want to buy an N95 series3? Anyone really care?
I had my issus in the first week and then i got used to it...
its the best fone out there man!

Look at the plus side, the DVD like video recording, the grafics, the 5mp camera...
Immortal_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #5
solidsnake204
Team Member
Lasyk Titanium Member

Oh I could have guessed to would post in this thread Immortal

Quote:
i play music all day(5 hours) and then the battery runs out...
Still less than a SE.

Quote:
with sites like www.pizero.net and www.babinokia.com producing good quality themes for free why make ur own??
Because some people want to stamp their own mark on their phone.
SE themes are still easier to make than Nokia ones.

Quote:
GPS is free, only costs u to dwnload the maps...
and u have a scbscription fee
Then that means it's not free then.

Quote:
Ive Lost Faith in Firefox...7 worms and 4 Trojans in just one month!!
Get a decent anti-virus and stop looking at those warez sites

http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affili...2_best-yet.png
solidsnake204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #6
Immortal_Baron
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

@above...

Im using safari now!!!

lets see how long it lasts!!!
Old 11-30-2007   #7
solidsnake204
Team Member
Lasyk Titanium Member

Quote:
lets see how long it lasts!!!
Not that long... it's by Apple

Old 11-30-2007   #8
Immortal_Baron
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

and now moving on to the GPS thingy...

Nokia has a subscription fee, but there are two 3rd party softwares that use the integrated GPS of the n95...

so they are totoally free!!!

and NOKiA have symbian fones capable of doing much more than JAva ones...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake204 View Post
Not that long... it's by Apple
Yeah ur rite its just suffered its first crash...

If it crashed a few more times im gonna try OPERA or perhaps IE7 again!

Last edited by Mr.ASAP; 11-30-2007 at 07:29 PM. Reason: posts merged!
Old 11-30-2007   #9
solidsnake204
Team Member
Lasyk Titanium Member

Quote:
and NOKiA have symbian fones capable of doing much more than JAva ones...
Yes, slow speeds and viruses

Quote:
If it crashed a few more times im gonna try OPERA or perhaps IE7 again!
IE7 is the least secure of them all!

Old 11-30-2007   #10
Immortal_Baron
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

There have been no viruses made for the S60 3rd edition (the nokia nseries)
Old 11-30-2007   #11
Mr.ASAP
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

@IB

based on your posts, you are certainly trying to potray N95 weakness as "normal" issues, i cant blame you for being a suppoter of nokia.. its only normal that humans take sides

i myself support both SE and nokia
SE - fun phones (K800)
Nokia - Business phones (E61)
Because SE cant provide decent value for money business phones and nokia cannot provide simple-enough-to-use fun phones

so in the spirit of fairness yet again (based on alphabet N starts first)

- Why i hate nokia
- Messaging feature is terrible, i really dislike the inbox, i have to sync my messages to PC and delete in bulk my SMS, cannot imagine 10K SMS = 30K clicks - its crazy
- Laggy interface, normally it takes me at least 7 secs before games folder opens
- theme creation is a pain!
- their menus can be contradicting, often confuse what is inside Profiles menu and Settings menu
- Why i hate SE
- More customization please! Nokia can change and install Fonts!
- can the screensaver with clock stay a little longer or forever?
- memory sticks <-- have been a pain since K750 glad they have microSD in K850
- joysticks (for some models)
thats the bad
and yeah S60 v3 So far has no virus i hope there never be!

cheerio
Old 11-30-2007   #12
Parano!d
Elite Theme Creator
Lasyk Elite Member

//yes nokia are pathetic slow,even if java phones are newly fast,but they tend to get slower soon
//and now almost all customisation can be done on se phones:fonts,skins,flash,icons,etc,etc
Parano!d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #13
solidsnake204
Team Member
Lasyk Titanium Member

Quote:
More customization please! Nokia can change and install Fonts!
I agree, if SE did this, less people would hack their phones.
But also, Nokia has too much customization which makes theme creating a pain.

Old 11-30-2007   #14
slaski
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

oooooooooooooooooh ooooooooooooooh poor people!
i don't know if have the strange to answer to all these points but i will give it a try.
first, thanks immortal, you are so right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ASAP
- Why i hate nokia

- Messaging feature is terrible, i really dislike the inbox, i have to sync my messages to PC and delete in bulk my SMS, cannot imagine 10K SMS = 30K clicks - its crazy
- Laggy interface, normally it takes me at least 7 secs before games folder opens
- theme creation is a pain!
- their menus can be contradicting, often confuse what is inside Profiles menu and Settings menu
it doesn't take 3 clicks for every message you have. have you ever tried to mark all and delete? WOW! it works for me (options->up->up->up->right->up->mark all->c->yes. that is 9, not 3000!!!)
it takes me at most 2 seconds to get the folder to open.
is it a pain to creat a theme? get some skills, don't want to be mean but read and try, you will learn it quickly. carbid.ui have more potential and stuff to make then setc. and it is not a pain to change 1 icon or more for a nokia s60 phone then for a sonye.
i can't find it any hard to find what i wont i the settings. if i would have some trouble, read the manual.

and for the first poster. get real, read the manual and understand that you are comparing a simple java phone that have almost non potential and possibilities. a nokia with symbian s60 are like a m600, p800, p900, p910, p990. they are smartphones!

sorry, i don't mean to be rude. but, please people. it is not reasonable to compare a smartphone to a simple phone. compare w850 to a 5300 or 5310.

the contact part, try to make a contact list on a nokia and then move the sim card to a sonye phone. the sonye phone will mess it up this time. the phones "mess" your contacts because they sort them different.

if you have so much problem with creating good looking themes with carbide.ui. you could try some online services that mobile9 have or the theme creator app that you can make themes IN the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxicGTE

Anyone else have issues? Anyone want to buy an N95 series3? Anyone really care?
comon?! do you even have tested the phone? and no, i have no problem with my. but i can buy yours (or was it your brothers?)

I LOVE NOKIA (with S60)

and thanks again immortal, we nokia/symbian bros need to stay together!
slaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007   #15
ToxicGTE
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

Cheers to all the posters/replies on this, but i`ve given the phone a couple of days to get used to me, and things haven`t improved really. i can understand Immortal Baron about the camera/video quality, which i agreed with in the first place. I`m not a camera/video person, more music, which is why i got the Walkman series. The interface is slow (parano!d), i do want to create my own themes (ss204), capable of much more how? (IB). Anyway, two final points on the N95 failings...
8. The alarm only goes off for half an hour? I work 13-14 hours a day and find it a pain to get up in the mornings. I hit the snooze button as many times as i can before finally getting out of bed (an hour with my w850i), but now my sleep time is reduced...
9. Where is my torch?? With winter here it gets dark quickly. Sometimes i have to locate things in the dark, so flick open the slider on my w850i, press the camera button, and top right shoulder button. Hey ****ing presto, a torch. Nokia? No chance... Fumble around in the dark for a while, unless i take lots of pictures with the flash enabled. Then people think there`s lightning in the place...

@ Slaski, i did read the manual, thanks. It`s my phone, as my brother is happy with his. He said it was "the dogs bollocks" (Very good), but i think its just "bollocks" (Very bad)...

Coming soon to an eBay auction near you.......
Old 12-01-2007   #16
solidsnake204
Team Member
Lasyk Titanium Member

Also, I think the W850 looks a hell of a lot nicer than the N95.
That is my opinion, everyone else can have their own opinion, they are not obliged to say "W850 looks better than the N95".

Old 12-01-2007   #17
ToxicGTE
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

Hmmm. I think that the N95 looks better, but i have another gripe.
10. Who the hell decided to put the earphone jack on the SIDE of the phone? It gets in the way of operations when i have my earplugs in, it looks ugly, and it also jabs into my conkers when i have the phone in my front trouser pocket...
Old 12-01-2007   #18
scottl
Team Member
Lasyk Active Member

the N95 and k850i aint cheap :O

according to this catalogue i have, to buy a N95 its £599 and the K850i is something like £460.

thats expensive.
scottl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #19
slaski
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

so you go and buy a torch for ~400-500 € hahaha sure, ebay works for me. remember to pm me a link
but sure, compare the phones if you like. but if you would like to use a walkman series but in nokia style, try 5300 and 5310.

the 3,5mmm jack are bad placed, sure. but it is a whole lot better then sonye jack. better sound and possibilities with different earphones.

you are comparing a toyota with some speakers to an ferrari...

Last edited by slaski; 12-01-2007 at 02:16 AM.
slaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007   #20
scottl
Team Member
Lasyk Active Member

but ferrari make cars that with features that the car can support without being faulty
scottl is offline   Reply With Quote