FAQ
Go Back   myForum > iPhone OS > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2009   #1
19fill86
Liverpool Supporter
Lasyk Gold Member

Jailbreaking iPhone/iPod

First of all. Thanks for the section

This post will hopefully help you understand whether you want to jailbreak or not.

Please Note. You are jailbreaking at your own risk. I do not want to be responsible and therefore i am not forcing you to go through with the process.

Why Jailbreak?
It unlocks the potential of your device. It gives you the ability to have themes on your device. You can change the camera into a video recorder. Able to download full albums on your iPhone for free. There is much more you can do. So i would reccomend do some research to make sure its what you want to do. If things go wrong you can always restore to original factory settings. So make sure you have backup of everything. Also everthing else will still work. You will still be able to download apps from the app store and play any games already downloaded.

Is it Legal?
Yes it is legal. People say your warrenty is void. Which is half true! If you send your iPhone or iPod back to apple after you jailbroke. They aint gonna fix it. But if you restore to original settings then they wont even know. So you will still have your warrenty.

How to jailbreak?

1. Download firmware for your device and the quickPwn program.

2. Plug your iPhone and make sure iTunes has detected it. Update or restore your iPhone to firmware 2.2 using iTunes. Restore is preferred as it won’t create any wasted space on your iPhone.

3. Right after restoring your iPhone, launch QuickPwn. It should recognize your device automatically.

4. You will be asked to select your iPhone firmware. Select the fiurmware you have downloaded. Make sure it is correct firmware for your device. If its a 3G iPhone you need the iPhone 3G firmware.

5. You will then have the opportunity to select Cydia,Installer, and custom boot logos. I would advise to install cydia. Installer is similar to cydia but cydia is a much better app. Change your boot logo to a pineapple if you wish. But i didnt bother as there is a app available in cydia which will let you change the boot logo anyway.

6. QuickPwn will now ask you to confirm that your iPhone is connected. Double check your device is connected.

7. QuickPwn will now automatically put your iPhone into recovery mode. Once its in recovery mode you will be prompted to: Hold the Home button for 5 seconds, Hold the Home and Power buttons for 10 seconds, then release the Power button and continuing holding the Home button until your iPhone is in DFU mode. QuickPwn will tell you what to do. Just follow the simple instructions that it shows.

8. Wait for your device to jailbreak. May take a few minutes.

9. QuickPWN will tell you when then process is complete

10. Just wait for your device to reboot. This may take longer than normal but be patient. Mine took about 5 minutes.

11. Once its rebooted you should see the new apps on your springboard. If you chose to put cydia and installer on.

What if it goes wrong?
If it goes wrong, A system restore will usually make everything work perfect again. I had to jailbreak my iPhone 3G twice before it worked. Make sure you are jailbreaking with the correct firmware for your device. Firmware for iPhone 3G and iPhone 1G are completely different just like iPod Touch firmware is different also.

Jailbreak Program
Download QuickPWN for Windows
You need to have the .net framework installed in order for QuickPWN to work. Download .net framework

Jailbreak firmwares
Download iPhone 2.2.1 Firmware
Download iPhone 3G 2.2.1 Firmware
Download iPod Touch 2.2.1 Firmware

Questions
Need help using cydia or installer? Just ask
Guide is hard to follow? Let me know what you dont understand
Jailbreak hasnt worked? Just ask
Feel free to ask any questions. I will answer the best i can.

Remember if it fails always try a restore first!

Last edited by 19fill86; 03-18-2009 at 01:11 PM.
19fill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010   #2
mmoreno
Lasyk Friend

thanks for the tips mate i was, it is really good i am going to try it on my iphone i'll keep you posted.
mmoreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010   #3
sandwiek1234
Banned
Lasyk Friend

Really nice tips. Thanks for sharing.
sandwiek1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013   #4
biplob1
Lasyk Friend

Thank you so much for sharing this tips.It will be very helpful for those who are using iphone or ipad.Nice article and keep in touch......
biplob1 is offline   Reply With Quote