myForum Lasyk Networks Upload at Lasyk Networks
REGISTER NOW
FAQ
Go Back   myForum > Android OS > General Discussion

Old 05-06-2010   #1
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

Xperia X10 discussion thread (pros and cons)

Started this thread from a comment by Dimas.94 comment was as follows ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimas.94 View Post
...do you guys think the X10 is worth the money?
My thoughts after owning the X10 for a week now..

...It depends on your budget and price plan your willing to pay

the X10 is an awsome android phone but still has a few little bugs and issues that need to be addressed!

first thing to note here it was touted as originally being 'Multi touch' its not multi touch as yet (not sure if a later update can add this in or not or if its down to the screen hardware??)

second thing is this comes with Android 1.6 O.S. other handsets already can use the 2.0/2.1 release although we can expect this in Q4 of this year

Its not a huge issue but some pretty new android apps require it to run but not many atm!

Another pretty big gripe was i found that you can make a 'Visible Pattern' keylock by swiping a pattern over a nine dot grid to prevent other people using your phone before it starts up ... I had a go at this and though this is pretty awsome until I made a pattern that was a little more complex and must of slipped somewhere and forgot which direction the last part of the pattern was ..locking me out of the phone ...

You get a couple of attempts to get this right then it locks you out for 30 seconds before a retry .. Obviously I couldnt still get it right and it prompted for my email and password I used when I first set the phone up (I know this email backwards and use it daily and the password!) and it still would not let me access my phones contents

This pretty much sucked as I had just got it all set up with ringtones message tones caller contact images apps etc and I couldnt even use the damn phone

A quick google found I had to use the SEUS update tool to reflash the phone to factory settings as a keypress one I found did not work! ... that sucked bigtime I had to start all over again fortunate for me I had backed up contacts pics I had taken playlists to the internal mem card but was still a PITA to start over again resetting it to my liking!

So at all costs do not mess about or even use the stupid 'Visible Pattern' keylock function its usless if you forget it you cant override it and get back in (googling this other people complained about the same thing!)

Third gripe also mentioned on various X10 sites is that the sound in the media player is very low even when set on FULL! its quite low compared to the standard accoustics on my k800@k810i! Its ok for listening but maybe come a pain when your in a noisy enviroment!

those issues asside I'm liking it more each day now and finding out new cool stuff and cool apps such as 'Google Goggles' a funky object/barcode scanner that will scan an object/barcode and find information on google where to buy it or information about it... there is also a shopping app that does a similar thing but finds places to buy items specifically!

The Android market is full of free apps a lot of apps that are also available at cost on Ipod! and a load of nice games too ....although some good and some just rubbish but at least if its free then its only cost your time.

Apps to recommend by me

Skyfire browser 2.0 a cool free browser that lets you play flash content/videos

Opera mini 5 no need to comment on this most people know what it is

Dolphin browser (this is my current favorite browser fast and everything seems to fit the screen altho lacks the flash player like skyfire)

Goggles (google) mentioned above

Astro File manager a pretty good file manager that can search your phone and copy and paste and send files via bluetooth etc

Barcode Scanner scans both your standard barcodes and also the QR barcodes (some app sites use this so you can fast download the apps without typing anything it in you just scan the QR on your monitor with your phone and it links to the download!

Layer An Augumented reality browser this is pretty funky you can walka bout looking through your camera and it will use your GPS/Compass in the X10/other android device and show stuff in realtime such as food places/parking house sales and pretty much anthing else useful you could find using a mapping device but in real time with a radar type icon in the corner when you sweep the dots into view it gives you the information what your looking at or searched for.

Last Fm a popular web stream application (there is also a 'spotify' App but you need a premium account to use it ) so I use lastfm.

Beam reader a fast PDF reader (I use mine for a couple of time tables and some docs I need on the go)

Epic fails no need to introduce this everyone has seen the EPIC fails images out there this is a collection of them good for a quick laugh now and then when your bored.

Tone Picker for a good reason this app is a necessity to begin with for some reason I could not get my X10 to use an MP3 as a message tone ..read on google its something to do with folder layouts or something?! ... This app fixed it the easy way you load it and just change it in the app and your done.

BeebPlayer Only useful for UK users as this is an app that uses BBC Iplayer so is pretty much restricted to the UK.

I have a couple of media players such as ROCK ON and '3' but not decided which I like best!?

And a final UK only app called Scorchio! this gives me the latest deals on the HOTUKDEALS website in an easy to view format instead of going to the website

overall the X10 is a pretty awsome phone it still kicks the Iphone into touch and has an 8.1 megapixel camera comes with 1gb in the phone and an 8gb mem card and none of the mess of Itunes for loading stuff to it its just drag and drop! it even found all my playlists I made for my C902 without any bother it showed them under playlists.
Old 05-06-2010   #2
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

Great review kobra & Dimas,

Let's see how it will run with Android 2.1 as it is most anticipated both for the X10 & X10 mini & X10 mini pro
KFou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010   #3
Dimas.94
Team Member
Lasyk Platinum Member

Thanks for the review mate, I am getting a job in the summer, will probably go for such a phone.
Old 05-07-2010   #4
A$AD
Team Member
Lasyk Gold Member

defiantly my next mobile
A$AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010   #5
Dimas.94
Team Member
Lasyk Platinum Member

YAY I just made sure I will have a job
Old 05-07-2010   #6
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

lol Still learning stuff every day with it like google maps is pretty good using the GPS they are already trialing satnav functionality of google mapping (with the X10 and street view using the inbuilt compass is awsome you rotate the phone and streetview follows your direction of movement and travel)
Old 05-07-2010   #7
Dimas.94
Team Member
Lasyk Platinum Member

That compass feature must be really handful and awesome...
Old 05-10-2010   #8
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimas.94 View Post
That compass feature must be really handful and awesome...
yeah it its great it makes the direction finding even more accurate
Old 06-08-2010   #9
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

more news and updates theres a new update soon not sure when named R2BA013 this should address the battery problem some more and some improvements for time and media scape functions!

meantime try one of the home replacements to get a better battery life such as HELIX launcher (donut edition) (note DO NOT CHANGE THE NUMBER OF SCREENS SET AFTER INITIALLY SETTING IT!) or you will end up with an endless loop of crash and close screens (if you do this you need to start the X10 in safe mode (google how to) and uninstall it!

atm im using OPEN HOME it works quite well and battery life does seem a little better! altho i debranded and currently also using this firmware :- UK Generic X10i Firmware (R1FA016) there is also a later version R1FB001 but whichever you choose make sure you choose the right one if you have an X10i (Europe) phone use the X10i version of the software and if its other X10a then use the X10a firmware!!!!
Old 06-15-2010   #10
SeVeMaS
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

just replaced my google nexus one for the X10 (Still love SE Phones after all)
the big differences so far? First the bad in the X10 (compared with Nexus one)
-No multitouch
-No direct search key (is amayzing how this key is usefull)
-When calling there is no calling options in the main screen, you have to press options.
-No direct silence (you have to puch the power key then select silence mode)
-USB on the top sucks, meaning: No stand acessories, receiving a call while charging is anoying, and the usb cover also is anoying.
- No wired headset with music controls (only via BT)
- No standby screen with time

The good stuff?
- Direct Camera key
- Hard keys for options, main menu and back
- Screen size and quality even in bright conditions
- Original browser works fast
- Time and media scape are great

Missing stuff
-In contacts i don't see birthday info
-An widget for the music player
-Can't control music with volume key when the music is in the background or the phone in locked
- in timescape the google mail is not syncronized with the contacts (only if you setup the google account in the mail aplication)
-when associating a contact with facebook the contact itself as no picture
-Can't recognize the people in the photos from facebook already marked

Still learning :-P
Old 06-16-2010   #11
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

Got my hands on an X10 mini, guys this is really a neat device, so I can imagine how super the normal X10 must be on daily use.

Great list of apps kobra let me add the following:
  • Net Counter (if you are counting your bandwidth usage)
  • Google Translate
  • Google Voice (currently US only)
  • K-9 Mail (handling multiple mail accounts)
Old 06-16-2010   #12
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

NEWS JUST IN!!!!!!!!!!

Xperia phones (Xperia X10, X10 mini and X10 mini pro) to get Android OS 2.1 in Q3

link
Old 06-16-2010   #13
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeVeMaS View Post

Missing stuff
-In contacts i don't see birthday info
-An widget for the music player
-Can't control music with volume key when the music is in the background or the phone in locked
- in timescape the google mail is not syncronized with the contacts (only if you setup the google account in the mail aplication)
-when associating a contact with facebook the contact itself as no picture
-Can't recognize the people in the photos from facebook already marked

Still learning :-P
OK some help a bit here ...

CONTACTS you can add notes for a birthday if you really wanted too as a reminder

but it has quite a decent calender for adding these dates andyou can also sync it with google email/calender too

Facial recognition atm only works with 5 FACES and sometimes it still gets confused and adds a wrong tag hopefully they will fix this soon maby in 2.1 whenever it gets here (maby in Q3) this could be the reason its not working with facebook as most people have over a hundred friends and almost everyone has more than 5

re music get a decent headset with volume controls and you can change it up and down ...

I have the MW600 bluetooth headphones they are great (see pic)

yes google mail does not show on the timescape but if you set it up with popmail or other popmail style accounts (afaik MSN/HOTMAIL works) and will show up in timescape

also re other issues with calling etc there are many many apps out there that can provide other functions such as full screen caller id and replacement diallers etc something may help you further with issues

Oh and btw try open home as it has an icon bottom left of a phone handset this is a quick link to your contacts and call log etc this maby what your looking for

re standby screen with time add it with a widget but if you have the screen to turn off it wont be seen obviously but its a good idea as it saves battery a quick tap of the middle button (home) and it will iluminate your screen briefly so you can see the time

Agreed daft place to put the usb port but hey its in there now not a lot we can do about that its hardware so an app cant chage that doh!!! lol

re no multi touch try the developer app from sony on the market and try the 1 TOUCH ZOOM its pretty awsome if they can get this into 2.1 its a PINCH ZOOM killer you dont even have to use two hands it can be done with just 1 and using your thumb

@KFOU not sure if you get it on the mini but the X10 comes with MOXIER MAIL a fully fledged email client with moxier calender/moxier contacts and moxier sync altho i do not use it myself i heard its pretty good for cross platform sharing of information and syncing !?

Last edited by kobrakaan; 06-16-2010 at 01:01 PM.
kobrakaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010   #14
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

additional updates to my views and having it for about a month now ..

good things/apps to try SWYPE keyboard its in beta atm but excellent just tracing your letters in a message with your finger spells the words out

there are other slider style ones like SWYPE called SLIDEIT and SHAPEWRITER both also good for writing without spelling words out on a virtual qwerty keyboard

There are many many alternate keyboards out there too some great some bad some dont work in landscape so its trial and error finding the right one for your X10

other good apps to try

browsers

SKYFIRE a browser capable of using flash video from most sites ...
OPERA MINI of course for a great all round fast browser
Dolphin a good multi tab browser (will be even better when 2.1 comes out so we can use HD version)

TWITTER CLIENTS

Seesmic good client pretty much straight forward

Tweetcaster (currently my most used nice layout nice interface)

Celebrity tweets (follows just celebs)

PDF reader

BEAM READER and REPLIGO both good both pretty fast (both also not free!)

File Manager

Astro (free) and works great there are others but i like ASTRO

HOME REPLACEMENTS
currently using Open HOME has 7 screens horizontally and pull out bars for adding quick favorites and a quick search button also has a desktop widget for weather like the HTC and a flip style clock

Also tried 91iHome pretty good screenwipes and fades between screens like page flip and cube but I prefer Open home myself due to the pull across bar which you can customise for frequently used apps etc

Music player alternatives

Btunes a good music player with playlist functions and cover art looks a bit like ipod layout and works with MW600 headset for controls track forward/backward/play/pause

Tunewiki has the ability to pull videos up on youtube and has bulit in Shoutcast and Last fm links along with chards and music maps (see where else in the world your tracks being played at the same time as you)

FUN apps

AKINATOR

(not freeware but cheap enough for hours/weeks of fun) (approx €1.59/1.32/$1.95) this is a mind reading game style app (check akinator.com)
Think of a character real or cartoon etc and answer questions with using YES/NO/DONT KNOW etc and it will correctly guess your thought!!! ...note works faster with wifi as it pulls the info from the website/internet) its pretty damn good at time wasting my time lol!

Widgets 2G/3G toggle (usefull for text messaging only as 3G/WIFI eats the battery when on constantly so I toggle it on and off when needed and get a longer battery life)

Beautiful Widgets these are nice looking desktop widgets for a lot of things like wifi plane brightness and silence etc they just look nice and look nice with my dark theme

SMS currently I'm using CHOMPSMS its like iphone texting with bubbles and contact photos and supports multi/mass messaging where the inbuilt client does not it also has a range of custom options such as message popup/alert style and icon and message tone setting

another one pretty much the same as CHOMP is HANDCENT also a good replacement sms client

I have a tonne of other good apps and tools too many to mention!

oh and another freebie brought to us by ericsson check out on PLAYNOW for CREATOUCH free tool to custom make your own home screens and wallpapers using touch functions and doodling on your screen with your finger

finally SAT NAV's google maps is getting better but has NO VOICE directions so lacking that its hard to use when driving so I use either NAVIGON or CO PILOT LIVE both not free but both pretty damn good at what they do with CO PILOT having the edge for me!

yep a whole heap of useful crap to dump on your phone lol enjoy!
Old 06-16-2010   #15
SeVeMaS
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

[QUOTE=kobrakaan;412622]OK some help a bit here ...

Thanks, some of your ideas are great, others i got how it works but is not in the user friendly way.

Now i keep my word on the headset, i talked about wired remote headset (i know that the BT works perfect), but to save battery i want to use the wired one, but i can't control the music. I tryed the HTC wired headset (nexus one) but no luck here.

Thanks a lot anyway.
Old 06-16-2010   #16
SeVeMaS
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

To search wallpapers and a lot of ringtones you can install from the market is: ZEDGE
You can type the search, download and set.
Try it
Old 06-17-2010   #17
KFou
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

Let me add another file manager in your list:

File Manager
OI File Manager

@kobrakaan
Regarding ASTRO, have you managed to send files via bluetooth? From what I know the API has not included BT, but I may be wrong and there may be a plugin to install...
Old 06-17-2010   #18
kobrakaan
myForum Moderator
Lasyk Titanium Member

@KFOU theres an app for bluetooth file send

theres also yet another file manager called BLACKMOON file browser it allows sending files by bluetooth

@SeVeMaS BATTERY life for the MW600 is excellent on a full charge mine lasts me a couple of hours a day for almost a week (for the charge in the headset )

to save battery on the phone as above toggle 2G/3G and get a lot longer out of your battery

Last edited by kobrakaan; 06-17-2010 at 02:40 AM.
kobrakaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010   #19
SeVeMaS
Team Member
Lasyk Power Member

Other stuff that grip mu up on X10:
- Contacts and facebook don't work as well as the nexus one or HTC Desire, meaning, you can't use the facebook picture as a contact picture, you have to associate all contacts to the Facebook contacts (on HTC it detects automatically and if you don't like the association you can simply un-assign).
- SE get us used to smart dialing on other phones, but forgot about it on Symbian, android and WM systems (here once again HTC desire does a great job).
- For me still a pain in a butt not having in the contacts the birthday field (please don't tell me about put it on notes) i use the sync with my Google account so in calendar all birthdays are there all the time, i don't wanna loot to all my contacts to see when is their birthday.
- The X10 still be a phone, so a direct phone widget all the time in the screen is a must.
- The camera don't shot with flash automatically, need to go to options and activate the led and be with it all the time on.

I though with all delays to come out with this phone all this "bugs" will be all out, butt i think is just me asking to much :-P
Old 07-27-2010   #20
webmaster
Administrator
Lasyk Elite Member

Hello everyone! I have been playing with my new X10 Mini Pro.

Overall I can say this is my best Sony Ericsson handset, ever!

The presence of a physical keyboard is very useful when texting or chatting over IM. For one hand operation the multitap and quicktext input methods on the X10 mini/ Pro and X8 are not bad. Actually, I think that quicktext is even faster vs physical keyboard if you create a large enough dictionary file!

Regarding Timescape overall I am not impressed and will not be using the application on a daily basis.

Music Playback the phone has a very good built in speaker. The bundled music player is missing a EQ. But the default sound is not bad you could download other players to suit your ears.

#1 Application needed
Advanced Task Killer - Kill all the apps you dont use frequently especially all those useless apps that startup when the phone boots up for the first time. In the ignore list I only have Google Talk, Messaging (Whatever app I use for SMS, and Wi-Fi Keep Alive)

On older Sony Ericsson devices we were used to having the ability to save the songs we recognize using Track ID or Send via SMS. Now we seem to only have the option to download, which in some countries ends up in a dead link!

Up until just a few days ago no known workaround would fix the Wi-Fi display sleep problem everyone is facing on a lot of X10 series devices. Wi-fi Keep Alive version 1.4.1 resolves this problem. So you can now use your X10 series phone at home and don't need to have your data plan running to continue getting your updates. You need to enable all 4 workarounds in the advanced settings. This does drain the battery, but this is a problem with most Wi-fi enabled devices.

One of the major problems with recommending this handset is that you need to be constantly enabling and disabling wireless and mobile data traffic to save battery juice.

To save battery life all you need to do is disable data traffic when not needed.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote